1. Key details
We gather and use certain information about individuals in order to provide services, for health and safety reasons including consent for activities, consent for photography, and user data for funding.
We also collect information to better understand our customers and participants and present timely, relevant information to them.
Any data collected relating to ethnicity, gender, age or sexuality is collected anonymously.
3. What data we gather
We may collect the following data:
• Contact information including email address
• Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
• Demographic information such as gender, ethnicity, age and sexuality
• Website usage data.
• Other information relevant to particular projects.
4. How we use this data
Collecting this data helps us in a number of ways. Specifically we may use this data:
• For our own internal records
• To improve the services we provide
• To contact you if with specific information about classes or projects you are taking part in, for example if a class is cancelled at short notice, or if the venue for a project has been changed.
• To outline our participants and users to our funders (this is always anonymous and the data we collect for this purpose is collected anonymously).
• To send you promotional emails about projects, classes and events which we think might be relevant to you. We will only contact you in this way if you have specifically asked to be added to our email mailing list, or have signed up yourself via our website.
5. Controlling information about you
When you fill in a form providing your details to MDI you will see a tick box allowing you to opt-in to receive marketing communications from us by email, phone, text message or post. We will only ever contact you via methods you have opted in to receive.
You can change your mind and opt out of marketing communications via one of the following methods:
• Unsubscribe using the unsubscribe feature at the bottom of any MDI mail out.
• Send an email to: email@example.com
• Write to us at: MDI, 24 Hope Street, Liverpool, L1 9BX.
If you would like to know what information MDI holds on you at any time you may also submit a Subject Access Request, as outlined in the MDI Data Protection Policy. Such requests must be made by email to the Data Protection Officer. Requests are charged at £10 each and information will be shared within 14 days.
You are entitled to ask that any information held on you be destroyed.
We will always hold information securely. To prevent unauthorised disclosure or access to your information, we have implemented strong physical and electronic security safeguards.
We also follow stringent procedures to ensure we work with all personal data in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.
7. Website Privacy
MDI’s website routinely collects information from web visitors. This information is used by MDI via Google Analytics to interrogate how our website is being used and how we can improve it.
a. Cookies and how we use them
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer’s hard drive. It enables our website to identify your computer as you view different pages on our website.
Cookies allow websites and applications to store your preferences in order to present content, options or functions that are specific to you. They also enable us to see information like how many people use the website, and what pages they tend to visit.
• Analyse our web traffic using an analytics package. Aggregated usage data helps us improve the website structure, design, content and functions.
• Identify whether you are signed into our website.
• Store information about your preferences.
• To recognise when you return to our website.
Cookies do not provide us with access to your computer or any information about you, other than that which you choose to share with us.
The MDI website will also ask you to accept or decline cookies when you first visit.
b. Links from our site
Out website may contain links to other websites. Please note that we have no control of websites outside of the www.mdi.org.uk domain. If you provide information to a website to which we link, we are not responsible for its protection and privacy. Always be wary when submitting data to websites. Read the site’s data protection and privacy policies fully.